The land to Baulkham Hills was originally acquired by the Bidjigal people. These people have been seen straddling on the suburbs of West Pennant Hills, Baulkham Hills, North Rocks and Castle Hill. The name emerged from a settler of Buckholm Hills in Scotland, Andrew McDougall. The name was officially recognized in 1902.
Baulkham hills are located 31 kilometres towards the northwest side of Sydney CBD. The area is covered within the greater Sydney region and the local zones of The Hills Shire.